Monday, January 28, 2008

(humorous, true story) "Sowing & Reaping"

"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. "

Call it karma, sowing and reaping, or just plain divine vengeance, whatever you choose doesn't really matter, because when you decide to be mean to another person or living being you can bet that it's coming back.......Sometimes two fold!

Being raised a single child on a hobby-farm provided a lot of free time, in between the chores of course. As the saying goes "An idle mind is the devil's workshop."
I was perhaps seven years old when I discovered that an electric fence could do more then keep the would-be-stray animals in. It could also provide many hours of fun filled, heart thumping excitement.
One hot summer day while playing chicken with the timed electrical surges I discovered something very fascinating, while wearing shoes on very dry ground, I could actually grip the fence tightly with my fist and the timed surge would not shock me, "Oh, Cooooool" Experimentation, no matter what it is, always has a price. It didn't take long after my initial "oh, coooool" discovery to find it was not so cool to touch anything at all with my free hand.
After the initial shocking experience of grabbing my nearby bicycle I decided I needed an assistant to continue unlocking the secrets that physics might hold.
Now after reading the next few sentences I know what one might think, but please place yourself in the situation, I was young, inquisitive, and I just did not consider the ramifications of what I was about to do, besides, I loved my dog!
As I gripped the fence and hollered for trusting "Bear" to come over, I heard the little voice in my head begin to scream "DON"T DO IT", it was to late, in one quick flash from the tips of my fingers onto his black shiny nose, our loving, uncompromising relationship was over.
Now if I were to leave the story here, then no lesson would be learned, nothing gained, and the title would have no meaning at all, soooooooo....
Later that same day, being outside, being a boy raised on a farm, not seeing the same electric fence running through the bushes and most importantly having to pee really bad, I let it go. I had a full stream flowing fast and hard before I noticed what was happening, then the surge came, POW! As I pulled myself from off of the ground and tried to catch my breath, I could see him from the corner of my weeping eye just standing there off in the distance with an unmistakable grin all over his face, "Bear", yes dogs can grin, and even laugh.

No comments: