Friday, January 25, 2008

(humorous, true story) "Attack of the St. Bernard"


To the ears of a four year old boy, the sound of a barking dog in a far off Field was quite captivating, however what was to follow would be forever etched in my mind as the single most frightening experience of my childhood (other then the "chicken incident").
As I stared across the Field where I stood, past the barb wire fence and onto the horizon before me, I could just make out the small bounding dot moving quickly in my direction.
I watched in amazement as with each leap the beast grew larger larger and the thunderous barking got louder. That's when the first thought hit my young mind that this monstrosity had purpose, it was not out for a casual run, it was out for me!
I glanced around for safety, could I make it to the house?! Yes, of course I could! As I answered my own question and decided to make a run for it, I turned quickly to assess the situation further and listen as my mind vomited out another fleeting thought, surely the barbwire fence would stop this thing, I knew all to well about the stopping power of barbed wire. Once again my question was answered as fast as it was asked, however this time not by me. The very large St. Bernard, 150lb according to my mom, had hit the fence, everything was in slow motion now. I could see its bulging muscles ripple as it tore through, leaving clumps of hair hanging like forgotten Christmas ornaments in a holiday cabin. I turned to run. I made it every bit of three whole steps before I heard the train on my heals and coming fast. I turned to face my death. The dog/horse, without breaking stride, rose to its hind legs and squarely planted its paws across my chest, my head slammed to the ground, I saw it jaws heading towards my face, I closed my eyes and tried to scream, as I opened my mouth to draw a breath, I couldn't. Something was blocking my air other then the weight of the beast, something was in my mouth and down my throat, I opened my eyes in terror, it's tongue! I drew a breath as I turned my head in disgust and dismay, another slobbery lick was coming, I managed to scream for my mom and dad, but that also only made it part way out. I was drowning in drool, being "waterboarded" by a dog. I could hear familiar voices screaming loudly as the tongue lashing continued. Three minutes of hell and three gallons of drool later, they had it off of me, I was gagging and soaked. There was not a dry part of my upper body, it was dripping off my nose.
needless to say, to this day I do not let dogs lick any part of my body, except my toes of course, aaahhh!

No comments: